Do you want to save money on your electrical bill while also improving the look and feel of your home? Dimmer light switches can help you accomplish both. Call Edison Electric, Inc. to learn how energy-efficient dimmer lighting can improve the ambiance in your house. We provide installation and repair services to the Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN area. When you book an appointment with us we guarantee to provide upfront pricing!
Have you recently purchased a new home? Don’t put your family’s safety at risk - call us to schedule a whole-house safety inspection to make sure your electrical system is working properly.
Benefits of Dimmer Switch Installation
Adding a dimmer switch to your home can have numerous benefits - from saving energy to creating a warm atmosphere in your house.
- Save Energy: Dimming a light can save up to 98 percent in energy, which can result in a 10-percent savings on your energy bill. You can control how much lighting is used in a room, allowing you to use less energy and put less wear and tear on your bulbs.
- Control the lighting: You can control the amount of light in a room either through the switch or via a remote. This allows you to create a mood in a room and adjust the lighting as needed for a specific use.
- Longer lifespan: Light bulbs can last longer on a dimmer switch, as you don’t put a 100-percent strain on the bulb each time you use it.
Where to Install Dimmer Switches in Your House
While you might typically think about installing dimmer switches in specific areas of your home - like a dining room - there are many options throughout your house.
Some rooms you might consider adding the units in may include:
- Bathroom: You can dim the lights first thing in the morning to ease into the new day. You can also dim them for relaxation if you are taking a bath.
- Bedroom: Dimming the lights in your bedroom at the end of the day can help get you ready for bed as you visually see the day is winding down.
- Kitchen: While you need full light while cooking in the kitchen, you can dim the lights later in the day when maybe you need just a little bit of light for a midnight snack, or when making coffee first thing in the morning.
- Hallways: You can dim the lights to act as a night-light overnight to increase safety in your home.
- Living room: Dim the lights when gathering in the living room to watch TV or a movie to create a more relaxing environment.
- Porch: When you just want a small presence of light outside to help keep intruders away, use a dimmer on your porch lights so you can control the lighting.
What to Consider When Selecting a Dimmer Switch
When selecting a dimmer switch for your home, you have several options. Some things you should consider before making a purchase include:
- Select a model that can be used with a compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) and LED bulbs to ensure it’s truly energy-efficient.
- Choose dimmable CFLs to prevent a risk of fire.
- Pick a switch that’s right for the wattage you need, and know if you have a three-way switch or a single pole.
- Decide what kind of control you want - either a rotary style, a toggle style, a rocker control, a slide control, or remote control.
Has your aging wiring started to fray and produce burning odors? Keep your family safe by calling us today to ask about our home rewiring services.