When there’s an issue with your home’s electrical system, you need to have it inspected by a professional as soon as possible. If left untreated, the problem can put your family and your home at-risk for dangers such as a fire. Call Edison Electric, Inc. for residential electrical services in Minneapolis, MN. We provide upfront pricing to all of our customers!
We offer the following electrical solutions:
- Generator Installation
- Electrical Repair & Troubleshooting
- Code Compliance
- Breaker Panel Repair & Replacement
- Appliance Circuits
- Switch/Outlet Repair & Replacement
- LED Lighting
- Dimmer Lighting
- Indoor Lighting
- Outdoor Lighting
- Ceiling Fans & Chandeliers
- Whole House Surge Protector
- GFCI Receptacle
- AFCI Protection
- Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Home Rewiring Services
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
- Whole House Safety Inspection
Are your outlets up-to-code? Contact us for GFCI receptacle services in your home.
What to Expect During an Electrical Troubleshooting Appointment
Have you ever taken inventory of everything in your home that relies on electricity to run? Spoiler - it’s a lot! Your home uses electricity to operate its appliances, HVAC systems, and more. Because you rely on your electrical system so heavily, it’s important to have a professional troubleshoot your system on a regular basis to identify problems before they cause an interruption of your services. During these appointments an electrician may:
- Check for any flickering lights and determine the cause - whether it’s a poor connection or a larger issue.
- Examine any malfunctioning outlets. This can include any outlets that are not providing electricity, or ones that you’ve noticed are warm to the touch.
- Inspect any breakers that trip frequently.
- Check any burned out light bulbs. While this might seem like a minor issue, the professional can determine if you are using bulbs of the correct wattage.
Signs Your Wiring Needs Repairs
You likely don’t think about the wiring system in your home often - until there is a problem that needs your attention. Wiring issues can cause serious problems, like fires, if left unrepaired, so it’s important to call a professional at the first signs of a problem. Some symptoms that can indicate you need electrical repairs can include:
- The circuit breaker starts to trip frequently. While this might start as a minor inconvenience, it needs to be inspected by an electrician immediately as it can signal a more serious issue with your system.
- The lights start to flicker, dim, or buzz. These signs can indicate your system isn’t keeping up with the demands your household is placing on it.
- The wires are frayed. This can be a fire hazard and should be repaired by a professional as soon as possible.
- The outlets are vibrating or are warm to the touch. This can signal an issue with your wiring that needs to be inspected by an electrician.
- There is a burning smell. An odd odor or burning smell can signal a potentially dangerous problem with your wiring and should be inspected by a professional immediately.
Adding new lights can dramatically change the look of a room. Call us to learn about our indoor lighting services.
Bring Your System up to Code With GFCI Outlets
New electrical codes require that you install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) near water sources in your home. If you live in an older home you might not have these outlets, which are meant to help prevent fires and electrocution that can be caused by water. It is recommended that you install GFCI outlets in the following areas of your home:
- In your kitchen.
- In your bathroom.
- In outdoor spaces.
- In your laundry room.
- In your garage.
- Near the spa, hot tub, or pool.
- Near any other areas that are exposed to or near water.