Celebrate St. Patrick's Day By Going "Green"
Green energy is any type of renewable energy or sustainable energy. This includes solar power, wind power, and hybrid systems. This St. Patrick's Day, homeowners should consider giving their home a "green" energy makeover by integrating renewable energy systems to power their power. In this blog post, electrical experts give a quick overview of the different types of renewable energy and their benefits.
Alternative Energy Options
- Solar power: Solar panels absorb energy from the sun and use it to create energy to power the home's electrical system. Solar panels are easy to install at almost any location that gets direct sunlight. One can use them in addition to the regular electrical system to reduce energy usage. Installing solar panels ensures an energy backup in an electrical grid blackout.
- Wind power: Wind power takes advantage of the natural power of nature by harnessing the wind to create energy. Most wind power systems use a wind turbine which generates kinetic energy when the wind spins the turbine. When the turbine spins, it generates a reaction in the attached electric generator and produces power for the home.
- Hydroelectric: Similar to wind power, hydroelectric power uses the movement of natural resources to generate electricity. In a hydroelectric system, moving water powers the electric generator. The flow of water moves the turbine's blades to create kinetic energy.
- Geothermal: "Geo" means earth, and "thermal" comes from the root word "therme," which means heat in Greek. Geothermal heating systems use heat from the earth to generate power for the home. One can use heat transfer systems to generate hot water, heat the air inside the home, and produce electrical power.
- Biomass: Biomass power is created using organic and renewable materials. Biomass is a type of fuel derived from scraps of wood, manure, and other renewable resources. It is a type of carbon-neutral electricity that turns waste products into a source of renewable energy.
Benefits of Going Green
Some homeowners are hesitant to upgrade to a green energy system because of the overhead costs. There are government incentives that provide rebates for installing solar panels and other renewable energy systems. It is more affordable than most think to upgrade to a sustainable energy system at home.
Another benefit of installing solar panels or wind turbines are cutting back on utility bills. Using sustainable energy helps reduce the home's environmental impact and keeps power bills low.
What Type of Sustainable Energy Is the Best?
For most homes, solar panels are the most accessible and affordable option. Installing solar panels is easy as they can often be placed on top of the home's roof, which makes finding space for them a breeze. The government also has rebate incentives for homeowners to install solar panels, making it the most affordable option.
Wind power is less predictable than solar power, can cost more in installation and maintenance, and needs more space to work effectively. Geothermal systems generally only benefit homeowners who live in moderate to warm climates.
About Edison Electric, Inc.
Since 2007, Edison Electric, Inc. has been proud to serve Minneapolis and the surrounding communities with high-quality electrical services from professional electricians. Homeowners can count on Edison Electric, Inc. for integrity, professionalism, and timeliness. Give them a call today to schedule green power services with an experienced electrician in the Twin Cities metropolitan area!