Check to see if the outlet is controlled by a wall switch (this is common in rooms with no overhead lights). Check and reset GFCI outlets and circuit breakers. Check light bulbs and replace, if necessary. If none of these are the problem, call Edison Electric.
Usually when a circuit breaker trips, it is doing its job by protecting your wiring from overheating – typically caused by using too many appliances at once. You should be able to reset the breaker safely when the overload is removed.If you don’t think the circuit breaker is tripping because of an overload, then a short circuit is possible in an appliance or your home electrical wiring.
First, please consider the following: Is there a cover on the panel and are the circuit breakers secured? Has your panel been serviced and inspected by a licensed electrician since you have lived in the home? Call Edison if you have doubts about the safety of your electrical panel.To reset the breaker, disconnect any additional devices/appliances that may have caused the circuit breaker to trip. The circuit breaker handle must be firmly turned all the way off before being turned back on. If this fails to reset the breaker; there may be a more serious problem. Call Edison Electric.
Lights may flicker or dim due to startup of some appliances or motor driven equipment like air conditioners or a vacuum. If you believe your dimming is due to something else, call the power company for possible defects in your power supply and power connections. If all is good on the power company’s side, give us a call.
First call your power company. Ask about outages in the area and have them send a crew to check the power and connections coming to your house, this should be free. Then call Edison Electric.
Stay far away from the power lines and call the power company. After you speak with the power company, give Edison Electric a call.
Yes. This is common when a large motor or compressor starts. This is a momentary voltage drop causing the blinking in your lights.
It’s difficult to say… Some older wiring like knob and tube or aluminum maybe in decent condition but still considered unsafe. Generally though, it depends on the amount of use and abuse your electrical system has endured through the years. If you are doubting your wiring, or see some frayed insulation, call Edison Electric.
GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. They are either a circuit breaker or a wall plug with the little test and reset buttons. They are a safety device designed to prevent electrocution by monitoring and shutting off the flow of electricity when there is trouble.
In general, new breaker panels have more room for circuits and more capability for modern safety enhancements like AFCI and GFCI protection in the panel. Mechanically speaking, a blown fuse is one time event and must be replaced whereas a circuit breaker is a mechanical device and can be reset after it trips.
Yes, if the electrical box is properly braced and rated for the weight of the new ceiling fan.
Not necessarily. A surge protector won’t protect against a direct hit from a lightning strike, but it may help with lightning strikes nearby.
If I have whole house surge protection installed on my main service, should I use point-of-use surge plugins at my TV, stereo, computer, etc.?
Yes you should. Whole house surge protection is not absolute. Quality point-of-use protection (surge strips) are just as important – if not more important than whole house surge protection…We recommend surge protection downstream in the system because it can help with surges that originate from inside your house. Whole house surge protection and point-of-use protection should be used together for maximum protection.
A few reasons…
- Use of non-brand named bulbs.
- Exceeding the light fixture wattage rating – too much heat
- Power Surges, Floor vibration, and Loose connections
A couple different possibilities….
- An intermittent chirp could indicate a defective smoke detector.
- A consistent chirp could be a low battery – time to replace it!
Inside most can lights, there is a safety device called a thermal cut-out which shuts off power to the bulb when too much heat builds up. Too much heat results from using a higher wattage bulb than the can light is rated for and/or covering a non IC recessed can with insulation. Loose socket connections can also cause excess heat.
It depends! Our standard service fees range from $0 to $69 depending on when and where you need service. We find it best to charge a minimal service fee, send an electrician to your home to evaluate your electrical needs and take care of those needs immediately in one trip.Call us for details and ask how we can save you money by becoming an Edison Value Member!
Yes! We believe in being on the same page with our customers throughout the service visit. Keeping you well informed through all phases of your electrical installation is our secret to guaranteeing your satisfaction. Thank you!